Monday, April 12, 2010

Kazaam! The rotor is off!

It was probably a good thing that I was not in town this weekend to work on the bike. We left for Socorro moments after UPS delivered the 16mm bolts. Shortly after arriving at the ECONOLODGE, I got sick. I never get sick, but I got some sort of mean, nasty, vengeful sick that really makes you appreciate the ability to stand upright for short periods of time. So even though I was out of town, I had no desire to work on the bike.

As a side note, don't ever stay at the Econolodge in Socorro, I don't usually submit complaints, but the service and accommodations at this place stink.

Anyhow. On Sunday evening, we arrived home and I was feeling good enough to take a poke at the rotor. I sprayed the bolt with WD40 liberally and threaded it in. A little pressure and the bolt slid off. No pop, no cheater bar, no excessive strength needed, nothing! The rotor just slid off!


The elusive bolt and the removed rotor!

This may not seem amazing to you, but for me, after herniating disks during multiple unsuccessful attempts to pull the bolt off with a three legged puller and three foot cheater bar, this was amazing.

I pried the old seals out with a little coaxing, but by then it was dark outside and I was feeling a little worse for wear again, so I pushed the bike back into the garage and went inside to watch an episode of Scarecrow and Mrs. King with my lovely wife.

I will clean out the openings and install the new seals this afternoon/evening as long as I don't relapse into sickness. Thank God for our body's wonderful healing ability.

In case you are an XS owner, here are the National Seal part numbers for the left and right crank shaft seals.

The timing advance side of the bike with the seal removed.

And last but not least, the Alternator side of the bike without the rotor.
Notice the cheater bar on the ground... I didn't need it. Ha! How cool is that?

No comments: