Sunday, February 22, 2009

Paint


Here are some shots of the tank, frame and side covers. My mom brought down a few boxes of toys she found in the attic of the house I grew up in. This first photos is one of the first paint jobs I did. Matchbox cars with model paint.

Here is the frame which has about five cans of Aluminum color engine paint and two cans of clear coat on it. I added the horns and reflectors just to see how it would look when assembled.

The side covers, with a bunch of color coats, just as many clear coats and about five minutes of some very light rubbing with 2000 grit sand paper. The sanding dulls the clear coat out a bit which was kind of scary, but worth it as you can see in the next photo.

The side covers with two tons of wax and buffing. You can see the reflection of the wall and the the TV in upper part of the covers.

First shot of the tank, about 24 hours after the final clear coat went on.

Another shot of the tank with about thirty very light coats of color engine paint and another 15 or so of clear engine paint. I hope that using engine paint will help protect it from the errant fuel spill. I like the reflection, this shot was before the paint has cured for a week. I will wet sand lightly it with a 2000 grit paper before rubbing it with rubbing compound and then giving it 10 to 20 coats of polish and wax. I am hoping to be able to see a clear reflection by the time I am done.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Hey, I didn't even know you had this blog going until my brother pointed it out today. I just had to tell you that your tank looks great and I love the frame. I would love to paint my frame something like that. You're inspiring to want to take mine apart and paint it and fix it up.