Monday, March 16, 2009

Is it hot in here...

I have already painted the frame an aluminum color and was beginning to regret. The tank was a cast iron color with a tinge of yellow in it. (Wasn't fond of the yellow cast). So in a flash of inspiration, I thought I would add aluminum colored flames to bring the colors together. I washed the tank and using 2" masking tape, I overlapped the tape on a sheet of wax paper. Then using an Xacto, I cut out the tribal flame shape I had printed on a sheet of paper and taped underneath the wax paper. I then removed the parts I wanted painted and pealed the masking tape pattern off of the wax paper and attached it to the tank. I have a few minor bleeds that I will fix with a brush after it cures and I wet sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper. A few coats of clear coat and a lot of polishing and I should be good to go!


I didn't like how the flames ended, so after I very carefully removed the masking tape, I shot a few rows of the cast iron color to the front so that the flames show more gradually from the front. 
Here is the tank on the bike. Not mounted, just set there to appease my impatience. The rear calipers are just sitting in place as well.

Slowly, slowly, slowly.

No comments: