Saturday, September 5, 2009

But wait, It's still twitching...

With the help of the very smart folks over at XS11.com, I learned to remove the #1 spark plug and added a 1/2 tsp to the #1 cylinder. Varoom! It started up.

I built a vacuum tube tool (neat exercise in the laws of physics) to sync the carburetors and adjusted the fuel idle.

Here it is before starting the engine. The fluid is 2 stroke engine oil and each of the four tube is attached to one of the vacuum tubes in the carburator boot. When you start the engine, each carb pulls air and fuel into the cylinder where the spark plug causes it to ignite and pushes the pistons which drive the bike... varoom!

here is how I have the fuel petcocks off of the gastank set up. The front tube is not used, so I cut it short and plugged it with a bolt head which I cut and sanded the burrs off of. The petcocks allow fuel to flow form the tank.

Here is the setup with the bike running. I have the tank elevated so that I can reach the adjustment screws between the carbs. Adjusting these in order allows you to sync carbs one and two and then three and four and lastly the two pairs are synced (SP?) toghether.

It runs now, though it sputters and dies on occasion. Not really sure why, but I will try tuning things a little and see if it doesn't pep up a bit.

Still not sure if I am brave enough to take it out on the open road, but it is ready for the back roads. As long as it's not too far to push back home.

No comments: