Wednesday, September 23, 2009

First Ride/Push/Tow With The New Seat

Have not cleaned the carbs yet, but I got brave enough to take the bike out yesterday. Other than being sluggish on the uptake and a bit irritable at stops, she ran fine and the newly upholstered seat was comfortable.

Unfortunately, as I turned on to University drive, to head up to work, she died. I looked the bike over, but did not see that the fourth spark plug wire had pulled out of the cap. As a result, I wasted the battery trying to get her started again. In the end, I pushed all 550 pounds up the hill to the Campus where I realized the problem. Plugged it back in and it started up fine.

Apparently, that was the last bit of juice in the battery and at four o'clock, after class, she wouldn't budge.

A very hearty thanks to Dave Bryant who brought a trailer and towed me home. I put the battery on a trickle charge last night and may try to ride it again this afternoon. Or I may buckle down and work on the long list of projects that I have to complete before the Campus Roundup this weekend.

And so... With the exception (there is always an exception) of a flame, painted on the seat to match the tank, a few studs and buttons on the upholstery, the cleaning of the carbs and assorted and miscellaneous electrical work, I am going call this rebuild complete. It may not run well, but it runs and it is fun to ride.





I first tore into this hunk of metal, on November 3, 2008. Now, after eleven month, a few bloody knuckle, a good deal of frustration and an even greater deal of confusion, I can honestly say that I have rebuilt a motorcycle. It was a great learning experience which I would recommend to anyone who is interested in learning more about the way our world works or who is just looking for a good "man" project. I am very happy with the results, the bike is really "mine" now. A special thanks goes out the the folks over at http://www.xs11.com. Without their help I would not have been able to complete this project. Maybe next I will build myself a truck!

Maybe not.



Here is what it looked like in late August or September when I bought it. I had already painted the tank by this point (poorly painted an not fuel resistant) and jettisoned the YAMAHA tank emblems as well. I wish I had an original image, c'est la vie.

No comments: