Monday, April 5, 2010

For want of a bolt the kingdom was lost

I had never really thought much about the difference between Standard versus Metric. Apparently though, there is quite a controversy out there and mechanics have strong opinions, at least on the Standard side of the fence. I need to replace the oil seals on the crank shaft. I should have done this when I split the cases, but I had the same problem then as now, no bolt.

I need a 16mm, 1.5 pitch, 50mm long bolt. After searching every autoshop and bolt/fastener outfit in Calrsbad, and listening to the evils of the Metric system from almost every clerk and mechanic on duty, I final gave up and ordered the bolt from an outfit in Maine.

UPS should deliver it on Thursday, and then I can pull the Alternator Rotor, replace the seals, reinstall the rotor and voila! I should have a rideable bike.

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

American Casting standard and custom padlock seals, bolt locks, high security cable seals, plastic strap and pull tight security seals.