Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Still roars but no Varoom

Well, it seems that the carbs on these bikes are touchier than I thought. I cleaned them out so that they looked clean, but apparently the insides of the channels need some thorough going through. I will need to re-clean them using welding tip cleaners and such.

The bike starts and runs fine in neutral, but in gear it will not rev. Rather, it sputters and dies. And so I will need to remove, disassemble and clean the carbs more thoroughly before I can ride the bike.

Also need to rebuild the fuel petcocks because one has sprung a leak. I am no expert, but fuel leaking into a hot engine or exhaust doesn't seem like a really bright idea to me.


In the mean time, since I cannot ride the bike, I am developing a 3D version of the XS1100 in Autodesk Maya.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this exact problem: "The bike starts and runs fine in neutral, but in gear it will not rev. Rather, it sputters and dies. And so I will need to remove, disassemble and clean the carbs more thoroughly before I can ride the bike."

How did you re-clean the carbs??

Sam Moon Christensen said...

I thought I had cleaned the carbs really well, nut the folks over at XS11.com kept telling me to clean them again. I have gone over these things a few times, but I guess that I was not as thourough as I needed to be. Take guitar wire and pipe cleaner and really go at them to make sure that every part is spotless. Lacquers in the fuel can really gunk those small ports.