Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Torn Carb Diaphragm and Stripped Jet

When I pulled and cleaned the carbs, I noticed a ripped carb diaphragm. It is probably one of the reasons that the bike would not run under load. The diaphragms work under a vacuum and when the bike is sitting still the engine requires very little movement of the diaphragms to pull the carb needles up when you rev the engine. But under load (riding) the diaphragms actually move quite a bit. a torn diaphragm equals no vacuum and as such no movement of the needle, resulting in a poor running bike. That coupled with the dirty carbs and I hope I have solved the problem.

I fixed the diaphragm today using Permatex RTV Ultrablack High Temp gasket seal and hope that it is good to go tomorrow (24 hours to cure). I can remove the top side of the carb while it is still on the bike, so I can check it as needed.

The jet however is underneath the carbs and I will need to remove the bank of carbs one more time to remove and replace it. I am going to try to see if I can run it without replacing the jet for now, and wait until I have a little more cash.

I hope to be up and running this weekend. If not, I will break down and replace the jet.

In the meantime, I have almost completed the 3D Maya model of my virtual 1980 XS1100 Special as chopped in the real world. I think that it is coming along well. Much like my real XS11, this virtual XS still needs some engine work.





1 comment:

Dave said...

When you are finished with this thing, it will be amazing! Once you get it finished up we'll have to go riding. Although I still need new tires, which for some reason cost more than the tires on my durango. I can't figure that one out.