Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reset the Cam Shafts This Evening

I am getting to the point where I am getting tired of taking things apart and putting them back together again only to take something else apart a few days later. So tonight before I filled the tank to test the bike again, I pulled the cylinder head and found that the cam shafts were about an eighth of an inch out of alignment. Don't really know if this is an issue, but thought that since I had killed the gasket anyhow, I pulled the cam shafts, centered them and put it all back together. Just incase someone is looking for instructions on how to set the cam shafts in on an XS1100, I am posting them below.

To begin, I pulled the cover, carefully removing the bolts in a criss cross pattern. Then I manually rotated the timing plate to the "T" making sure the 1 & 4 Cylinders were dead top. I used popsicle sticks and a little time to find the closest mark without using a gauge. Next, I stuffed the holes with rags to avoid any nut dropage. Then I removed the sprockets from the cams and carefully and evenly loosed the cam caps, again using a slow criss cross pattern to avoid bending the cams. I rotated the camshafts so that the dot lined up. I tightened the cam caps, slowly and evenly and torqued them down. I then double checked the dot on the cams and very carefully rotated the cams, being careful not to nick the casing. Then having stuffed the holes with rags again, I bolted the sprockets to the cams, checked the dot again and rotated the engine a few times in the correct direction to make sure that the dots lined up after a few rotations. When they did, I covered everything to keep out the dust and came in for the evening. Tomorrow, I will make a new gasket out of Permatex High-temp RTV and let it set for a day.


Hopefully the next step will be to sync the carbs and ride off into the sunset.

No comments: